closedthecover

closedthecover

The Brim Reaper (Style & Error Mystery #3)
Diane Vallere
The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry This book was a complete and utter waste of time.

When I first saw it on the shelf in the bookstore it caught my eye because the cover boasts that it is a New York Times Bestseller and I figured that it would at least be a decent read. I was completely disappointed.

The books is 385 pages and, at the very least, the first 360 pages are full of boring and predictable narrative. The perspective is constantly alternating between 1st person and 3rd person which I found to be very confusing. It was highly confusing, and incredibly annoying, when the perspective changes from “I” to “she” to “hers” to “mine” all in the same paragraph. I was never certain who was telling me the story and if it was about herself or someone else. I hated it. I kept wanting to put the book down and never pick it up again but I kept seeing, “New York Times Bestseller!” and I figured the ending would be worth the pain of reading it. I was wrong.

At the end of the story the mystery that has been building is finally revealed. It is a miserably sad and disappointing reveal for me but not because I felt heartbroken for the characters but rather because I realized I had just wasted an entire week of my life on nonsenical drivel. I felt completely let down by the author and I closed the last chapter feeling like, “Really? That’s it? That’s what I get for reading this? Wow…what a disappointment.”

I spent the next few days trying to figure out what to do with a copy of a book I knew I’d never read again. I thought about giving it to a friend or donating it to a local library but ultimately decided I did not want to be responsible for having put someone else through the misery of reading this story so I simply threw it away. I can not remember the last time I felt so disappointed by a book.