closedthecover

closedthecover

The Brim Reaper (Style & Error Mystery #3)
Diane Vallere
War Letters: Extraordinary Correspondence from American Wars - Andrew Carroll This is such an absolutely amazing book. It is very hard to read without getting emotional but it is worth the tears. I can not count the number of times my heart broke during this book but it is so full of such extraordinarily personal accounts of war that I just couldn't help myself.

This book chronicles the letters of war from the Civil War to Desert Storm. There are letters from General to the President, General to General, Lieutenant to Soldier, Soldier to his family, Family to Soldier, Soldier to his friends, and it was so incredible to read them. Andrew Carroll took on a big project when he first started gathering these 175 letters but this book turned out wonderfully.

I found it incredibly impressive to read the changing attitude about war and the cause in the letters. In the letters during the Civil War it is so evident that soldiers truly believe in their purpose, they belive in the war and what they are fighting for and are happy and willing to die for the fight. In contrast, during the Vietnam War the attitude is completely different. The soldier's are more melancholy and less enthusiastic about the purpose behind the fighting. It's heartbreaking. I love history and I love this book. There is no doubt this is a must-read for anyone interested in American history.