closedthecover

closedthecover

The Brim Reaper (Style & Error Mystery #3)
Diane Vallere

The Great Pyramid Mystery: New Discoveries Revealed

The Great Pyramid Mystery: New Discoveries Revealed - Stephen S. Douglas When I was first presented with The Great Pyramid Mystery I was immediately intrigued. It appealed to all of my main interests including history, archaeology, humanities and speculation/theories regarding the ancient world. When I first started reading it and found that Stephen S. Douglas was theorizing about connections between Pharaoh Khufu (one of my favorites and Egyptian history's most mysterious) the Great Pyramid on the Giza Plateau and the Bible's Joseph and Egypt's Great Famine I was even more intrigued. It is an interesting theory and he draws great parallels.

I loved, and greatly appreciated, that Douglas was so honest with his presentation of data. He clearly represented facts as facts and speculation as speculation. He encouraged the reader to consider that "if" this happened "then" this could have happened. He continually presented the reader with possibilities for consideration and simply asked that we examine the likelihood that these theories could be accurate. Could the Great Pyramid have been constructed by Pharaoh Khufu with guidance from Governor Joseph? Could the prosperity of Egypt under Pharaoh Sneferu (Khufu's father) have been the 7 years of prosperity from the Bible and Khufu reigned during the 7 years of famine? Could the reason that the Great Pyramid is so unique and different from the others in Egypt be because it was not only a Pharaoh tomb but also a silo? Was the Great Pyramid used for food storage to sustain the Egyptian people during the 7 year famine referenced in the book of Genesis? It is possible and Douglas presents a compelling case; or, at least a case that deserves consideration.

Is it possible? Sure it is and it is also fun to consider.

The book includes diagrams and pictures to help the reader with the comprehension of the technical side of the construction of the Great Pyramid. There are diagrams comparing the inside of the Great Pyramid to construction diagrams of actual silos. There are also diagrams that compare the construction and design of the Great Pyramid to other pyramids in Egypt including the Step Pyramid and Red Pyramid. It's fascinating. There are also pictures and diagrams comparing the entrances of the Great Pyramid and other pyramids in Egypt. All Douglas ever asks of the reader is to consider the possibilities. This book does not present hard facts and try to forcibly convince the reader to subscribe to the theories presented, it simply presents data and then asks that it be considered objectively.

It was a really great book to read. It provoked my curiosity and it inspired me to open my Bible and re-read Genesis, specifically the part that referenced the story of Joseph in Egypt. It was interesting to read Genesis with a new perspective as I tried to imagine Pharaoh Khufu as the Pharaoh with whom Joseph interacted and imagined Joseph's involvement in the Pyramid construction. I tried to imagine the people of Egypt coming to the Great Pyramid begging for grain and corn during the famine. It was great to have these new parallels to consider and research.

My only problem with the book were the typos and other writing errors. There was the occasional misuse of the word "their" instead of "there" and the use of the word "accept" instead of "except" or the occasional misspelling. I can easily overlook errors like that in favor of compelling content like the subject matter presented in The Great Pyramid Mystery but they are present and they are apparent. The book is well worth reading though so I suggest that you overlook the writing errors and consider the mystery.